Machu Picchu Lodge to Lodge Trek | Trip Notes
Scroll down for 2021 departure dates.
Mar 29-Oct 26;
|2 people/1 room||$4000||$5075|
|4 people/ 2 rooms||$3900||$4975|
|Single Supplement/requested single||$2295||$2750|
request share on trek days 4-9; single hotel & services other days
|$775 + Machu Picchu hotel supplement/TBA||$775 + Machu Picchu hotel supplement/TBA|
|Tour Supplements & options/
Per person rates
|2 people||4 people||Single
|**Additional Night at Inkaterra/Machu Picchu including
dinner + breakfast, 2nd entrance to Machu Picchu with
Huaya Picchu Hike option, and 2nd shuttle bus ticket to ruins
|Chakana Horseback Ride/Day 5^||OR||OR||OR|
|Upgrade to 5 star hotel Cusco/3 nights||+$300||+$300||$300|
March: 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 28 29, 30 & 31
April: 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28
May: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30 & 31
June: 2, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 27, 28 & 30
July: 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 16, 17, 21, 23, 24, 26, 28, 30 & 31
August: 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29 & 30
September: 1, 3, 5, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 25 & 28
October: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 18, 20, 21, 22, 25, 26, 28 & 30
November: 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 19, 26, 27, 28, 30
December: 2, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 26, 27 & 28
^This activity requires a minimum of two passengers
- There is a minimum of 2, and a maximum of 12 guests per departure
- Upgrades to Cusco hotel, and trip extensions are available on request.
- Follow this link for a Map of your Trekking Route.
- Follow this link for a profile of the trekking route containing information on altitude, distance and travel times for each day.
- Supplements for horseback riding and zipline are best reserved and paid for during your trek. There is no refund for prepaid unused services.
Single Supplement: Applies for all single travelers who prefer their own accommodations. The "request share" option applies for guests who are willing to do a "same sex share" for the trekking portion of the trip for days 4-9 + Machu Picchu hotel charge/TBA. They will have a single room on all other days.
About the Lodges:
All four mountain lodges have been designed and built in accordance with traditional building techniques, Inca architectural & mythological concepts, and respect for the surrounding environment. Visit our Accommodations Page for photos of all lodges.
The Salkantay Lodge has 12 private double, twin or triple rooms with private bathroom facilities, while the other lodges (Wayra, Colpa, Lucma) have 6 private double, twin or triple rooms, all with private facilities.
Salkantay, Wayra, and Colpa lodges have an outdoor jacuzzi.
Every lodge guarantees an ample supply of hot water for showers; there are no bathtubs in any of the lodges. Saunas are also available at all lodges at no additional cost. Room heating ensures the temperature remains a comfortable 68° F (20° C).
At the lodges (days 4-9) we provide filtered and sparkling water, tea and coffee, juice and soft drinks free of charge. Alcoholic and sports drinks, and natural bottled water are not included. Only filtered water and tea are available free of charge at the Inkaterra Pueblo Hotel.
Optional Activities During Trek
Chakana Ride/Day 5
This 5–6 hour guided horseback/trekking combination is the ultimate adventure when in Soraypampa. It allows you to enjoy the best views of the Soraypampa Valley, Mt. Salkantay and Humantay, and Humantay glacier lake, among others. A mystical offering to Pachamama (Mother Earth) at the Chakana (Inca Cross) performed by a local Shaman, in full view of the awe-inspiring Apu. Salkantay (“Apu” or mountain god), tops off this unique experience.
Horses are also available at Soraypampa in the afternoon for 2–3 hour guided rides around the valley. Itineraries may vary depending on the guests’ riding experience.
• Please, no hard suitcases or wheeled bags. Soft duffel bags and / or backpacks (“soft” luggage) are recommended.
• We provide a limited amount of hair-dryers at each lodge, due to limited energy supply and environmental concerns.
• Shampoo, conditioners and bath gel are provided at each lodge.
• Bathrooms are equipped with drying lines.
• Any additional clothing and luggage that you will not need on the trek can be stored at your hotel in Cusco.
• If you do not have an appropriate sized duffel bag, we can provide a duffel bag on loan at the pre-trek briefing (the night before departure from Cusco). Please return it to your trip leader after the trek.
• Peru Rail, the company that operates the trains from Aguas Calientes to Cusco, has a weight limit for all luggage on the trains, which is 1 backpack (5kg/11lbs) and 1 duffel bag (10kg/22lbs) per traveler. For luggage over this weight limit, Peru Rail will charge guests directly at the train station in Aguas Calientes (Rate: US$0.82 per pound extra or US$1.80 per kg extra). Note that excess luggage may be transported on a separate cargo train.
• Any additional luggage/equipment that is not needed on the trek can be stored at your hotel in Cusco.
Trip Rates Include:
- All services and transportation (vehicles and trains) as indicated
- 6 nights lodging during the trek (5 nights in MLP lodges, 1 night in Aguas Calientes in a 4-star hotel) + 1 night Lima airport hotel and 3 nights Cusco with tours & transfers.
- Breakfast daily + all meals during your trek from lunch on day 4 thru lunch on day 10
- Service of a bilingual guide (English/Spansih) for all indicated tours and the trekking program (other languages available at additional cost)
- Transportation of personal belongings on the trek by pack horses/mules and/or porters
- Guided visit of Machu Picchu Sanctuary (includes entrance, transportation to and from the site and Huayna Picchu Permits
- Wireless Internet access (Wi-Fi) at all lodges and hotels.
- US$50 gratuities for service staff (MLP lodge staff, mule drivers and route chefs), excluding guides.
- Water, tea, coffee, soft drinks and fresh fruit juices are free of charge at the MLP Lodges. Only filtered water and tea are available free of charge at the hotel in Aguas Calientes.
- Massage & Spa Services
- Laundry Service
- Optional Activities: Chakana Inca Cross Excursion, Canopy Zipline, Horseback Riding (subject to change)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Bottled water and sports drinks are not included. In an effort to reduce plastic waste on the trail and at the lodges we encourage guests to use refillable water bottles. For this purpose we provide and ample supply of the highest quality filtered water, available at multiple water stations at the lodges.
- Local taxes (18% IGV) on meals and lodging applicable to Peruvians, foreign residents in Peru and tourists traveling in Peru for 60+ days.
The Salkantay Journey to Machu Picchu is an Adventure Travel Activity which takes place in remote locations and at certain
times at high altitudes. As such, it contains a certain level of risk. In order to ensure a safe experience for every guest, we
kindly request that every guest presents valid proof of insurance coverage as a minimum for Medical Emergency Treatment
and Evacuation. Please note that some insurance policies exclude Adventure Travel Activities or similar from the coverage,
so please be careful when assessing and/or purchasing your insurance policy and please make sure that the insurance policy
includes Adventure Travel Activities or similar.
Definition of ‘Valid Proof of Insurance’
Mountain Lodges of Peru requires presentation of the following information at least 60 days prior to trip start date:
- Name of Insurance Company and Name of Specific Policy (if applicable)
- Coverage registration number or code
- 24hr emergency telephone numbers provided by the insurance company
# of departures
March: 17; April: 16
May: 23; June: 15
July: 16; August: 18
Notes for exact dates
2 people/1 room
From $4000 p/p
4 people/2 rooms
From $3900 p/p